Playing DVDs in Windows 8 with VLC Media Player
- At the Windows 8 start screen, type VLC.
- Choose the view option.
- Insert your DVD into your DVD drive on your PC.
- Choose your DVD playback option.
- Open the DVD from within VLC media player.
- Click the Play Button.
The cheapest, and easiest, solution to to play DVDs in Windows 8 is to download and install VideoLan Player, otherwise known as VLC Media Player. VLC Player is a free and open source multimedia player that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols. Downloading and installing VLC Player is easy.
- 1 Does Windows 8 have a DVD player?
- 2 How do I get Windows Media Player to recognize a DVD?
- 3 Why does my DVD not play on Windows Media Player?
- 4 Why won’t my computer play a DVD?
- 5 What is the best free DVD player for Windows 8?
- 6 What is the best DVD player for Windows 8?
- 7 How do I get Windows DVD for free?
- 8 How do I get Windows 10 to recognize my DVD drive?
- 9 Why does Windows Media Player not recognize my CD?
- 10 How do I make a DVD AutoPlay?
- 11 How do I fix my DVD drive not reading?
- 12 How can I play a DVD on my laptop without a DVD drive?
- 13 Does Windows 10 have a built in DVD player?
Does Windows 8 have a DVD player?
The Windows 8 Windows Media Player can’t play DVDs. But although Windows Media Player can no longer play DVDs, Windows 8 can still play DVDs with any of these solutions: Pay extra to buy either the Windows 8 Media Center Pack or the Windows 8 Pro Pack. Those packages add Windows Media Center to your computer.
How do I get Windows Media Player to recognize a DVD?
Step 2: Re-enable the Windows Media Player.
- Press Windows key, type Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Turn Windows features on or off.
- Browse to the Media Features and place a check mark in front of Windows Media Player.
- Restart the Computer and check with the issue.
Why does my DVD not play on Windows Media Player?
If you see an error from Windows Media Player that says “compatible DVD decoder not installed,” this means that a plugin (called an mpeg-2 decoder) needed to play DVDs is not installed. However, the VLC Player program, available free of charge, will enable you to play DVDs or any type of video file.
Why won’t my computer play a DVD?
Microsoft has removed the built-in support for video DVD playing in Windows 10. So we recommend you to use VLC player, a free third party player with DVD support integrated. Open VLC media player, click Media and select Open Disc. Now you can play the video on your DVD.
What is the best free DVD player for Windows 8?
Hare are five free apps to get around the lack of native Windows DVD playback and let you enjoy your DVD collection.
- VLC Media Player.
- GOM Media Player.
- XBMC Media Center.
- Daum PotPlayer.
What is the best DVD player for Windows 8?
VLC Media Player VLC has been around for over a decade and is one of the most popular media players available — free or otherwise. It ranks No. 1 for video players at CNET’s Download.com and has been downloaded over 47 million times.
How do I get Windows DVD for free?
You are eligible to get the Windows DVD Player app for free if you upgrade to Windows 10 from the following Windows versions:
- Windows 7 Home Premium.
- Windows 7 Professional.
- Windows 7 Ultimate.
- Windows 8 Pro with Media Center.
- Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center.
How do I get Windows 10 to recognize my DVD drive?
Boot to the Windows 10 desktop, then launch Device Manager by pressing Windows key + X and clicking Device Manager. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the optical drive listed, then click Uninstall. Exit Device Manager then restart your computer. Windows 10 will detect the drive then reinstall it.
Why does Windows Media Player not recognize my CD?
If Windows Media Player doesn’t recognize blank CDs, it’s either from your disk or the software. The issue may also appear from corrupt Registry entries so you should try fixing them. Changing the AutoPlay settings from your OS can also lead to a favorable solution.
How do I make a DVD AutoPlay?
Open the Control Panel, and from the “icons view”, click the “AutoPlay” icon. Check (or uncheck) the the “Use AutoPlay for all media and devices” box to turn AutoPlay on or off. If you want it on, select the default action for each type of media and device listed below it.
How do I fix my DVD drive not reading?
To reinstall the driver, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type devmgmt.
- In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then select Uninstall.
- When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, select OK.
How can I play a DVD on my laptop without a DVD drive?
How to play DVDs on a laptop without a DVD drive
- Use an external DVD drive. Shop HP External Drives Now.
- Create ISO files for virtual disks.
- Rip files from CD, DVD, or Blu-ray.
- Share CD and DVD drives over Windows network.
Does Windows 10 have a built in DVD player?
Surprisingly, there’s no built in DVD playing capabilities in Windows 10. These days, that might seem to make sense since most machines come without a disc drive, but if your computer comes with a DVD drive or you own and want to use an external DVD drive, playing a DVD might seem needlessly confusing.