- A block quote is always used when quoting dialogue between characters, as in a play. The block format is a freestanding quote that does not include quotation marks. Introduce the block quote with a colon (unless the context of your quote requires different punctuation) and start it on a new line.
If you quote dialogue between characters in a play, set it as a block quotation as described above. Begin each part of the dialogue with the appropriate character’s name written in all capital letters. Place a period after the name; then start the quotation. Indent any subsequent lines of the character’s speech an extra quarter inch.
- 1 How do you block quote plays?
- 2 How do you block quote Shakespeare?
- 3 What do you put before a block quote?
- 4 What is a block quote example?
- 5 Can you use too many block quotes?
- 6 How do you quote a Shakespeare play?
- 7 How do you quote a soliloquy?
- 8 How do you quote Shakespeare Harvard?
- 9 How do you insert a block quote?
- 10 How do I do a block quote in APA?
- 11 Should Block quotes be single spaced?
- 12 Can you start a paper with a block quote?
- 13 Can you use ellipses in a block quote?
- 14 How do I do a block quote in Word?
How do you block quote plays?
A block quote is always used when quoting dialogue between characters, as in a play. The block format is a freestanding quote that does not include quotation marks. Introduce the block quote with a colon (unless the context of your quote requires different punctuation) and start it on a new line.
How do you block quote Shakespeare?
Format prose quotations that run more than four lines as block quotations. Start on a new line and set the quotation one inch in from the left margin. Do not add quotation marks. A colon generally introduces a block quotation.
What do you put before a block quote?
Place a colon at the end of the last line before the block quote. Punctuate the text of the quote exactly as the original source does. Indent all lines of the block quote.
What is a block quote example?
What is a block quotation example? An example of a block quote includes any passage you cite that is more than 40 words. The block quote consists of a lead-in line, and it is set off with a 1/2 inch indent for the entire passage. You also need to include a citation, either at the beginning or end of the passage.
Can you use too many block quotes?
DON’T use a block quote for any quoted segment that is both less than three full lines of text in the editing interface and fewer than five sentences.
How do you quote a Shakespeare play?
When citing Shakespeare plays, list the ACT, SCENE, and LINES in parenthetical citations (page numbers are NOT included), separated by periods. Enclose the citation in parentheses. For example: (Macbeth 1.3.
How do you quote a soliloquy?
Follow the name with a period, and start the quotation. Indent all subsequent lines in the character’s speech an additional quarter inch. When the dialogue shifts to another character, start a new line indented one inch from the left margin. Maintain this pattern throughout the entire quotation.
How do you quote Shakespeare Harvard?
Citing Shakespeare in Harvard* format (as a performance) Play title by Playwright First Name Last Name (Year of Performance) Directed by Director First Name Last Name [Name of Theater, Location of Theater. Day Month of performance].
How do you insert a block quote?
- Block quotations start on their own line.
- The entire block quotation is indented 0.5 inches, the same as the indentation for a new paragraph, and is double spaced.
- Block quotations are not surrounded by any quotation marks.
- The punctuation at the end of the block quotation goes before the citation.
How do I do a block quote in APA?
Place direct quotations that are 40 words, or longer, in a free-standing block of typewritten lines, and omit quotation marks. Start the quotation on a new line, indented 1/2 inch from the left margin, i.e., in the same place you would begin a new paragraph.
Should Block quotes be single spaced?
Block quotes are used for direct quotations that are longer than 40 words. They should be offset from the main text and do not include quotation marks. Indent the entire quote ½ inch or 5-7 spaces; the block quote may be single-spaced.
Can you start a paper with a block quote?
Yes, an essay may start with a block quotation. The quotation should be important to your discussion and referred to in your prose.
Can you use ellipses in a block quote?
According to the Chicago Manual of Style, never use ellipses at the beginning or end of a block quote. CMOS also recommends using equal spacing between dots. Some style guides say to use three equally spaced periods rather than creating an ellipsis in Word, which you can do by pressing CTRL + ALT + Period.
How do I do a block quote in Word?
- Hit enter before the first word of the quote, and after the last word of the quote.
- Highlight the text.
- Right click and select paragraph.
- Under indent change left to. 5″