What sport is played with a shuttlecock?
- A shuttlecock (also called a bird or birdie) is a high-drag projectile used in the sport of badminton. It has an open conical shape formed by feathers (or a synthetic alternative) embedded into a rounded cork (or rubber) base. The shuttlecock’s shape makes it extremely aerodynamically stable. Regardless of initial orientation, it will turn to fly cork first, and remain in the cork-first orientation.
The goal of the game is the keep the shuttlecock in the air using feet and other parts of the body, excluding the hands. The game is often played individually, but can be played with others, passing the Chinese Shuttlecock from player to player while standing in a circle.
- 1 What is shuttlecock game?
- 2 What are the 10 rules of badminton?
- 3 What is the old name of badminton?
- 4 Why is it called badminton?
- 5 What are badminton balls called?
- 6 Who serves first in badminton?
- 7 Can you touch the net in badminton?
- 8 Is double hit allowed in badminton?
- 9 What are the 3 previous name of badminton?
- 10 Where is badminton most popular?
- 11 How will you win the game badminton?
What is shuttlecock game?
Battledore and shuttlecock, children’s game played by two persons using small rackets called battledores, which are made of parchment, plastic, or rows of gut or nylon stretched across wooden frames, and shuttlecocks, made of a base of some light material, such as cork, with trimmed feathers fixed around the top.
What are the 10 rules of badminton?
The 10 rules of badminton are as follows:
- A game starts with a coin toss.
- At no time during the game should the player touch the net, with his racquet or his body.
- The shuttlecock should not be carried on or come to rest on the racquet.
- A player should not reach over the net to hit the shuttlecock.
What is the old name of badminton?
Early on, the game was also known as Poona or Poonah after the garrison town of Poona, where it was particularly popular and where the first rules for the game were drawn up in 1873. By 1875, officers returning home had started a badminton club in Folkestone.
Why is it called badminton?
The game is named for Badminton, the country estate of the dukes of Beaufort in Gloucestershire, England, where it was first played about 1873. Badminton is derived directly from poona, which was played by British army officers stationed in India in the 1860s.
What are badminton balls called?
Historically, the shuttlecock (also known as a “bird” or “birdie”) was a small cork hemisphere with 16 goose feathers attached and weighing about 0.17 ounce (5 grams).
Who serves first in badminton?
Who Serves and Receives First in the 2nd and 3rd Games in Badminton? In singles, the player who won the previous game will serve first in the next game. Similarly, in doubles, the team who won the previous game will serve first in the next game.
Can you touch the net in badminton?
If you touch the net or the posts, you lose the rally. This commonly happens with /articles/net-kills>net kills: if the shuttle is tight to the net, it can be hard to play a net kill without hitting the net with your racket.
Is double hit allowed in badminton?
Double Hit Once your racket makes contact with the shuttle, you cannot hit it again until your opponent returns the shot. In doubles: Only one player in a partnership is allowed to hit the shuttle. If both players touch the shuttle with their racket, it’s a double hit.
What are the 3 previous name of badminton?
Badminton is in fact a mixture of Poona and another old sport called battledore and shuttlecock. Hence, arguments can be made that Poona, battledore and shuttlecock, or badminton itself is the original name of badminton. Note, though, that badminton was known as different names in different regions in the 19th century.
Where is badminton most popular?
Whilst badminton is a minority sport in the US it is widely played in Britain, Denmark, Sweden, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Korea and several other countries. Britain alone has 4 million players, about 8% of the population. As a spectator sport it is very popular in the far east.
How will you win the game badminton?
To win a game, a player must reach 21 points. However, if the game is tied at 20-20 (or 20-all) then you are required to win by two clear points. Unlike most sports, however, if the score becomes 29-29 (or 29-all), the player or team to score the 30th point will win the game.